Brake Maintenance and Replacement in Birmingham AL
Keeping an eye on your brake pads and brakes is a vital part to being a responsible car owner. Brakes, and their associated components, need to be looked after so that they perform like they should. Sometimes it can be hard to know when you should replace your brake pads or get your brakes checked on. Thankfully, brake maintenance and replacement in Birmingham, AL is easy at Serra Mazda.
Factors that Influence when you Should Replace your Brake Pads
- Environmental factors like stop-and-go traffic, traffic lights, and driving in the city can be hard on your brakes. Also, driving in mountainous areas can significantly wear on the brakes of a vehicle.
- Brake pad hardness can also affect the rate at which your brake pads wear. Harder brake pads usually last longer but need to be warm before they perform nicely. Soft brake pads perform better at low speeds, like in cities, but too much heat can cause damage.
- The way you drive affects the wear of your brake pads. Drivers that ride the brakes and stop suddenly will usually need to replace their brakes more often than drivers who coast to a stop.
- The materials that make up the brake rotor and brake pad factor into the brakes’ lifespan. Depending on the materials that your brakes are made of, they could last longer than other drivers’ brakes or could wear out faster.
Tips on How to tell if your Brakes and Brake Pads need to be Replaced
Brake pads wear at different rates. Some need to be replaced at 50,000 miles, some need to be replaced at 25,000 miles, while others can last for up to 70,000 miles. To get a more accurate number, check your car’s manual. There are also some indicators besides miles that can tell you if your brake pads are coming due for a checkup or replacement.
- When you’re having your oil changed or tires rotated, ask your service technician to check your brake pads and brakes to see if the thickness is at a good level.
- Brake pads have small metal hairs at the very bottom. Replace any brake pad making a metallic scraping noise immediately.
- If braking becomes jittery then the rotors may be warped. Make sure to have any unusual braking responses checked by a professional service technician.
Even with these helpful tips, it’s always a good idea to get your vehicle serviced regularly and checked periodically by a trained technician. You can stop by our service department for all of your brake maintenance and replacement needs in Birmingham, AL. You can schedule a service appointment online, and while you’re at it, check out our inventory of new Mazda vehicles.